As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases you make on this website.
Free observatory in Tokyo photo guide: Carrot Tower
Do you want a free observatory in Tokyo for photography? We know there are several. There is the superb Tokyo Metropolitan Government building in Shinjuku. Tower Hall Funabori is in Edogawa Ward. Another is Sky View near Shinbashi Station. Well, here is another, Carrot Tower.
I give Carrot Tower high marks. While it isn’t a true observatory, it works for photography. The views towards Shinjuku and Tokyo Tower are pretty epic. You’ll leave with some great cityscape pics. And if you are lucky, you can also get Mount Fuji.
Why is Carrot Tower a great free observatory in Tokyo?
- You get an unobstructed view of Shinjuku. There are no big buildings between it and Carrot Tower. The view is amazing.
- Tokyo Tower, Tokyo Torch, and Roppongi Hills are visible.
- Mount Fuji.
- You can get a good understanding of Tokyo’s layout. You’ll see that much of the city is very flat.
What’s not so good about Carrot Tower?
- To call it an observatory is a misnomer. It’s a cafe and restaurant with some windows to give value to the guests.
- Some windows are small and narrow.
- You need to deal with reflections on the windows.
- Mount Fuji is known as a shy mountain. It’ll often hide behind clouds.
- It’s only 124 meters tall. That puts it a little above Tower Hall Funabashi.
- To get there, you need to head out of the city area slightly. It’s southwest of Shibuya, about a five-minute train ride.
Other photo spots in the area:
Carrot Tower details
The official name for the deck is Sky Carrot Observation Lobby. You can see its location and opening hours on the official website.
Getting to Carrot Tower might be inconvenient for some. That’s true. You won’t use well-known train lines tourists use. But it’s worth the effort. The photos of Shinjuku and Tokyo Tower are great.
There is also Mount Fuji. Yes, there are no pics of it here, but expect them. I’ll go again when I get good weather and schedule.
If you like cityscape photos, this place should be on your list. And best of all, you don’t need to spend any money to use it. It is a great free observatory in Tokyo. Please leave questions and comments below.
To see more of the places mentioned in this article, look at: